The Visiting International Student Program (VIP) gives you the opportunity to improve your English-language skills and take a university-level class at the same time.
- For learners with an IELTS or equivalent score of 5.5 (no individual score below 5.5) and 6.0 (no individual score below 6.0).
- Take the Academic English Program (AEP) and up to 3 credit academic courses related to your major in your home university.
- Support from the International Students Services department.
- Take part in exciting social and cultural activities that will enhance your English skills.
- Flexible program options: 4 to 6 months (for details please see both options below).
To apply to the Visiting International Student Program, please complete the Lakehead University Undergraduate Application Form and submit it to email@example.com.
If you have questions or need more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This option is for learners with IELTS 5.5 / TOEFL iBT 65-68, or learners with IELTS 6.0 / TOEFL iBT 69-79.
- Learners with IELTS 5.5 / TOEFL iBT 65-68 will take the AEP + 1 academic course.
- Learners with IELTS 6.0 / TOEFL iBT 69-79 will take the AEP + up to 3 academic courses.
- Start dates in January, May (subject to academic course availability) and September.
- This option is available to groups of 10 or more.
- This option is for students with IELTS 5.5 / TOEFL iBT 65-68, or students with IELTS 6.0 / TOEFL iBT 69-79.
- Learners with IELTS 5.5 / TOEFL iBT 65-68 will take the Level 4 Intensive Academic English Program in July and August (36 hours a week, Monday to Saturday). In the Fall, learners will join the regular Level 5 AEP.
- Start date in late June or early July.
Visiting International Students are welcome to stay on campus in our Residences or participate in our Homestay program.
At our Thunder Bay and Orillia campuses, we offer a number of room-style options including dormitory-style rooms that include shared bathrooms and common rooms as well as a full meal plan. At our Thunder Bay campus, we also offer Apartment and Townhouse residence options that allow four students per unit to share a kitchen, living room and bathroom.
If you would like to live in our on-campus residences, you must apply online. For more details about housing options and to apply, visit our Residence website and select the campus of your choice.
Homestay is a great way to practice English and learn Canadian culture. By living with a Canadian family, students can improve conversational English skills in daily life, participate in family activities and have a better understanding of Canadian customs and culture. Students will enjoy a home away from home.
If you would like to live with one of our Homestay families, you must apply online. Visit our Student Homestay Application Form.
English Language Classes:
$5,400 CAD per semester.
$2,500 - $3,200 CAD per class per semester depending on the academic program.
$322.79 CAD per class per semester. Students do not obtain a credit.
Optional if you would like to sit in on academic courses without receiving credit.
$900 - $1500 CAD per month.
Prices vary depending on the type of accommodation you choose and whether you live on or off campus.
$1.95 CAD per day (approximately $238 per semester).
For details on medical coverage, visit the GuardMe website.
AEP: $72.14 and $66.73 for each 0.50 credit (academic course).
Adult Pass (25+ years): $80.00 monthly
Youth Pass (13 - 24 years): $55 monthly
Contact Lakehead University's English Language Centre
If you are unsure or have questions, contact us using the form below, and we can help.