The Innovative English Language Programs are offered throughout the year at both of our safe and supportive campuses located in the heart of Canada. Learning English at Lakehead is enriched with exciting thematic experiences that enhance your language studies - all while you enjoy Canada's most famous attractions and the great outdoors.
Lakehead University's English Innovation Program starts with a thematic package that allows you to customize your experience. Short-term programs are available throughout the summer and academic year. Follow the steps below to create your own program.
Every English Innovation Program begins with:
- 20 hours of English per week (thematically based)
- Up to 15 hours of activities per week
- Housing in Residence
- 3 meals per day from Monday to Friday, brunch and dinner on Saturdays and Sundays
- Bus pass
- Free airport pick-up & drop-off service
- Health Insurance
- Minimum 10 learners per session; Individuals/Groups may be combined to meet minimum enrolment.
- Activities during free time are at your own expense.
English Innovation Program Themes
At the heart of the English Innovation Program is the ability to study English within a specific theme or profession. Some of our most popular themes for the EIP English language instruction and cultural excursions include:
- Arts and Culture (Thunder Bay campus, Orillia campus).
- Indigenous Studies Stream (Thunder Bay campus, Orillia campus).
- Innovation, Leadership and English for Applied Sciences and Technology (Thunder Bay campus, Orillia campus).
- Innovation, Leadership and English for Business (Thunder Bay campus, Orillia campus).
- Innovation, Leadership and English for Engineering (Thunder Bay campus, Orillia campus).
- Enhancing Global Competency with English Language Learning and Career Development (Thunder Bay campus, Orillia campus).
- General English Stream (Thunder Bay campus, Orillia campus).
- Media Studies (Orillia campus).
Customized themes are available upon request.
Add-On Excursions and Experiences
In addition to the wide variety of experiences built into the EIP, there is the option to expand your exploration of Canada's sites and attractions through add-ons to enhance your experience in the English Innovation Program:
- Toronto Experience Package: CN Tower, Ripley's Aquarium, Kensington Market (Orillia campus).
- Niagara Experience: Maid of the Mist, Clifton Hill Museums, Marineland and Game Farm, Behind the Falls Experience (Orillia campus).
- Additional add-ons are available at an added cost, are subject to regional offerings, and are fully customizable.
Program Length & Start Dates
The English Innovation Program offers a pre-developed 2-week, 3-week or 4-week immersive experience. We can work with groups to customize program lengths based on their needs.
Our English Innovation Programs offer regular start dates throughout the year. We can also negotiate customized program intake dates for groups.
Please contact us at email@example.com to discuss your preferred dates.
View our Refund and Cancellation Policy here.
The English Innovation Program does not have any specific academic admission requirements.
In order to maximize your learning, and to take full advantage of the benefits of the EIP, participants should be 15 years of age or older. We recommend that each participant have a general English language foundation (e.g. minimum IELTS score of 5.0).
A typical week in the English Innovation Program balances class time learning English with cultural excursions and free time, allowing you to learn about our city and culture as well as practice your English skills. Each week in the program introduces you to brand-new experiences. Here is just a sample of what you could expect as an English Innovation Program learner:
Some of the types of Extracurricular Activities you could look forward to include:
- Canada Day celebration (Thunder Bay and Orillia campuses)
- A guided tour of the downtown museum or art gallery (Thunder Bay and Orillia campuses)
- A nature hike at Kakabeka Falls (Thunder Bay campus)
- Attending a Thunderwolves hockey game (Thunder Bay campuses)
- Skiing at Mount Baldy or Blue Mountain (Thunder Bay and Orillia campuses
The English Innovation Program offers one of the best value-added short-term English language experiences in Canada. Individual and group pricing is dependent on all of the program and add-on options. Please see an authorized Lakehead University representative for pricing, or contact us at:
Note: $250 non-refundable deposit is due at the time of application.
"Lakehead gave me the confidence to develop my English skills...It was an incredible experience!"
María del Carmen Zamudio Bautista
English Innovation Program Participant
Currently studying Mechatronic Engineering, Universidad Politécnica del Valle de México
"Lakehead's programs are not only about teaching you what you need to learn but about being prepared for life, especially a life far away from home in the case of the international students. Definitely, Lakehead became my home away from home.
Studying at Lakehead was important because there I found a multicultural place with valuable people who helped me to enjoy learning English. They gave me the confidence to develop my English skills and to not being afraid of making mistakes when I was trying to express myself in a language that is new to me. It was an incredible experience!
The activities in my English lessons were fantastic. 5 hours per day studying English seemed to be a lot, but my professor was always doing different activities with us, so we were learning without noticing it. Boredom was not included in our vocabulary.
Lakehead offers so many different activities aside from English classes like dancing lessons, visits to the most prominent places in the city including the Thunder Bay Museum, hiking and the most spectacular landscapes and views I've ever seen. Those activities help you to take a look into Canada's history, help you to interact with Canadians and learn more about them."
Contact Lakehead University's English Language Centre
If you are unsure or have questions, contact us using the form below, and we can help.